Sunday 8 December 2013

Nailing down the idea

People doing characters as their FMP normally have 3-4 characters, so this is also what I aim to achieve. I'm planning to definitely make 3 characters and leave myself enough time to make a 4th. If I fail to keep up with the project plan I can drop the 4th character and still have a complete FMP.

Although there are 5 characters from the Battle Chasers universe that I could do, I don't want to just use them. I enjoy drawing characters and want to incorporate some of my own design capabilities into the project. Therefore I think it would work best if I picked 2 characters that Mad! has drawn and then design the 3rd myself. Doing this allows me to spend time doing something I am most passionate about (drawing cool stuff) but it also provides some personal challenges. The characters that already exist are in unison, they are believably from the same world and time, my challenge is to match this. I need to design a character that is equally interesting and similarly dressed/equipped and styled so that it doesn't look out of place amongst the others.

The ultimate aim from designing the 3rd character would be for people who don't know the series to not be able to pick mine out from the others. This would show I have accomplished part of what I set out to do, work within someone else's world/project in such a way that it all looks coherent and seamless and thus my ability to adapt.




What characters?
Out of the 5 characters the one that stands out the most to me, and everyone else that saw my original pitch, was Gully. She has a very unique silhouette and dynamic to her that make her appealing. She is by far the most interesting character from the series and is the center of the story line.

The 2nd character that grabs my attention is Knolan. For similar reasons as Gully he is an interesting character, he isn't a stereotypical hero, or even wizard. He has a very interesting style and looks like an in depth and appealing character.

I haven't yet thought about what my 3rd character might look like, it will need to be something which offers some dynamics to the trio without being too dull or common place. Its something that will require more thought over the coming weeks as I progress. Getting my character wrong could throw off the entire project so I need time to make sure its right.

If I have enough time my 4th character will be Calibretto. He may be a fairly dull war machine with very little detail compared to the others, but I think this is why he works. He is absolutely massive compared to the rest, and he adds more variety to the group. I don't think making him will improve my project much, if at all, which is why I will only include him if I have time.


Where to start?
Unfortunately for me there isn't a massive amount of reference out there for the characters I want to make. Although Battle Chasers did very well and has a strong fan following, there never was very much artwork of them, apart from what is in the comics. There may well be quite a bit of fan art floating around but that isn't going to help me, I need Mad!'s artwork if I am to replicate his style.

I will be scouring the internet and my own artwork/comic collection for any and all relevant images that I can find. From those I will then have to draw my own orthographic images that I can begin modelling from. This in depth look into Gully and Knolan should help me when it comes to designing my own character.

A few pics to get going...













   

No comments:

Post a Comment